Barbara Lennox writes historical fiction set in Scotland, as well as short stories and poems. The first part of her three-part retelling of the Tristan and Isolde legend, The Wolf in Winter, will be published on 11 November 2021. This will be followed by The Swan in Summer in 2022 and The Serpent in Spring in 2023.
To be published 11 November 2021
How do you protect a hero?
Corwynal, son of the King of Lothian, dreams of reputation as a warrior. But when his half-brother, Trystan, is born on The Night of Thresholds, he’s forced to rein in his ambitions to become the child’s guardian and mentor.
For seventeen years, he’s kept Trystan safe in Lothian. But now the British Kingdoms have declared war on the powerful Caledonian Confederacy, and there will be no safety for anyone. Especially a young man determined to win fame as a hero.
As war spreads throughout the Lands between the Walls, Corwynal must emerge from the shadows and reclaim his lost dreams if he’s to guard the boy he’s given up his future to defend. But how much more will he be willing to sacrifice for the boy with the secret he can never reveal?
A spell-binding story of second chances, of love and letting go. An epic journey into the heart of a man riven by conflict, set amidst the warring cultures of dark-age Scotland.
First in The Trystan Trilogy, The Wolf in Winter is a thrilling retelling of the classic Arthurian story of Tristan and Isolde.
Early reviews (extracts):
- The Wolf in Winter’ takes the tragic, beloved tale of Tristan and Isolde and sets it deep in a new wild and willful territory.
- If you like The Last Kingdom – you will love this!
- The Wolf in Winter is a masterpiece. I was gripped by this tale, and as the excitement built towards the end, I couldn’t read fast enough.
- It is the characters who make the book and it is the characters who will live long in my memory.
- I was captivated by this book. It is extremely well written, the setting coming to life vividly and the varied characters jumping off the page.
(Because this was such fun to make!)
Other books by Barbara Lennox:
Song of a Red Morning – an extended short story of dark-age Scotland.
The Man who Loved Landscape – a collection of 40 short stories.
The Ghost in the Machine – a collection of poetry.
Find out more about these books on the My Books page.
Sign up to the Newsletter to receive regular updates and articles about Barbara Lennox’s writing life, and the world of The Trystan Trilogy. Subscribers receive exclusive short stories and novel extracts.
Follow Barbara Lennox on social media: